The below post is a short reflection on the course reading: Siemens, G. (2005). Connectivism: A Learning Theory for the Digital Age. International Journal of Instructional Technology and Distance Learning, 2(1).

“WOW!”

I have heard about behaviorism, cognitivism, and constructivism learning theory before, but it is the first time I learn about connectivism learning theory. From reading Siemens (2005)’s article, I came to see that his learning theory promotes inclusivity and diversity in an online learning environment. For example, in a traditional classroom, we as students are passive participants, we receive information, interpret information, and apply information in new situations. However, in an online learning environment that operates on connectivism, the distinction between a teacher and a student is not so apparent. The students come together as a diverse group and they help each other to build new knowledge, and the teacher plays a guidance role in their collaboration.

“Wonder?”

In the article, Siemens (2005) questioned whether connectivism learning theory will lead to chaos, and this is what I also wonder about. It appears that connectivism learning theory aims to break down the existing structure in our traditional classroom, but this structure has been operated for hundreds of years, and if we change that, how can we know what we are doing is right?